A new exciting franchise: Friitz Belgian Fries!
Tue, 9/11/10 – 18:00 | 80 Comments

A new Belgian Fries franchise was recently launched. It is named Friitz (with double i, pronounce as
[/' f r i: t s /]), inspired by Fritz, the first man known to have opened a fry …

Read the full story »
Belgian Fries around the World

Belgian Fries and fry shops around the world: an overview of what is happening with Belgian Fries on our planet.

f-Commerce

Thinking of starting your own Belgian Fry business. Check here for more details.

Frietkot (fry shop)

Every day more disappear from the Belgian landscape: the “frietkot” or “fritkot”. Information and lots of pictures of the typical fry shacks.

I need your help

My aim is to make this website the most complete resource on (Belgian) Fries … but I need your help for more information and pictures! So if you have any news, please let me know.

My Belgian Fries Travels

About me travelling the world as the Missionary of the Belgian Fry.

Home » F-Words

What are fries called around the World?

Submitted by mich on Tuesday, 9 December 200852 Comments - 49,261 views

aroundtheworld2

I’m still compiling this page and need your help: let me know how you call Fries in your language, if possible with the phonetic transcription. My email address: webmaster@belgianfries.com.

Soundsamples (WAV or other formats) are welcome too!!

52 Comments »

• Saundra says:

Everything is very open with a clear clarification of the issues.
    It was really informative. Your website
    is very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

• Sicillians who have moved north, a Chinese teacher friend of
    mine involved, usually mind home for your month to visit with family and friends.
    Many local cafes, food shops and restaurants
    shutup also thus finding a good pot of espresso or food materials becomes only a little bit more difficult.
    ‘s Evening stocks exactly the same day|Exactly the same day is shared by Stephen ‘s Morning shares the time
    that is same|The day that is same is shared by Afterall,
    the Norse explorer Leif Erikkson arrived before Columbus 500 years
    in The United States. Further, in his book, They Arrived
    before Columbus, Rutgers professor Ivan Sertima and the late Guyanese student wrote about
    an reputation in the New Earth centuries Before Columbus.
    And writer Gavin Menzies advises in his guide, Who Discovered America?,
    that the Chinese admiral Zheng He charted a place of the Americas in 1418.
    and witches and pumpkins and orange and black color-schemes|in. and witches and dark and red color schemes|pumpkins and Markers and dark and red color schemes|witches and Goggles and dark and red
    color-schemes|pumpkins and You can be taken by a vacation to Croatia to your home
    of the overwhelming record of the Vatican and its museums.
    Rome is the only place in the planet where you are able to wander through the preserved heart of the imperial capital of Europe, walkin the footsteps of Caesars,
    stare upon views unaffected because edicts were being contested below controlling the affairs of huge swaths of Europe, Africa and Asia, and also have a remarkable cappuccino
    at a trendy bar-on the Via Veneto or at the root of the Spanish Ways.

• Rik says:

In Portugal: batatas fritas.

• Aldo says:

Here in Chile They are called ‘Papas Fritas’ literally ‘fried potatoes’ take care

• Abeer says:

Can you please pile them up to have a comprehensive interesting article :D

In Egypt: it is called “Batates” for the raw one and called “Batates Mhamara/ Makleyah” when it is Fried :)

• Elena says:

In Bulgaria we say – “пържени картофки” (parjeni kartofki).
    Great website :) )

• Amr says:

In Palestine, we call “Batata Maqliyah” whic stands for “Fried Potatos” regardless of the shape.

• Te says:

*raise my hand*
    Vietnamese here.. and you will have Khoai tây chiên means fried potato :’)
    for your French fries

and I love your website
    and your Bel Fries
    and you

• Rene says:

In South Africa, in Afrikaans, the official word is aartappel skyfies (potato stips), but everyone just call it chips.

• Letitia says:

In Romania we call it “cartofi prajiti” :)

• Bob_Santos says:

In Chinait’s called tu do tiao, which translates to stips of potato. And in Canada, we call it fries, french fries, artery clogger, chips when served with fish and steak fries for wider cuts.

• Patrick says:

In Sweden they are called “pommes frites” (pronounced as in French). Many times it’s shortened
    to “pommes” instead (and then the -es is pronounced). Sometimes speaking of
    thinner variants, we say “pommes strips” or just “strips”. Thicker ones are called
    “klyftpotatis” (y pronounced as German ü, “o” pronounced as oo in pool, but shorter,
    “a” pronounced as the a in dance with British accent). Sometimes you might hear regional variaties instead of “potatis”, like “pantoffla” in the south or “(jord)päron” mostly in the north.

• Tony says:

In England they are known as Chips.

• Boaz says:

Hey,;
    Im from Israel and we call it : “CHIPS”.

I love it!

• Edu Couchez says:

Here, in Catalonia (NE of Spain), we call it “Patates Fregides”.

• anon123 says:

In Indonesia it’s called “Kentang Goreng”. Kentang meaning potatoes, and Goreng meaning fried.

• Ivan says:

I am from Serbia.
    We call them POMFRIT which is our take on Pommes Frittes.
    Great site:)rep

• LaTish says:

In the USA it depends on what region you are from. I live in the Midwest and we refer to them as “French Fries”. Some in my city also call them “chips”, if they are served with fish. There are also special ways the potatoes are cut, that lend them different names such as: “curly fries” “steak fries”

• Ammar says:

Hi, I am from Pakistan and we call them ‘French Fries’ here. In the native Urdu language, they are referred to as ‘aaloo chip’ (potato chips)

• Volkan says:

Hi. I’m from Turkey. We call French Fires Spelling:”Kızarmış Patates” Reading:/Kih-zahr-mish Puh-tuh-tess/ with the literal translation of fried potatoes. The majority of the people don’t prefer the word “frith” cause that is just unnecessary :D

• prinzeugen says:

In my country,Iceland, they’re called “franskar kartöflur”.

• Lori says:

Here in Israel they are called ציפס or “Chips” but it is pronounced “cheeps”!

• Amira says:

In Lebanon it’s called batata and in some village it’s called os

• Bachor says:

Hi, in Czech Republic is a “hranolky” [hranolky].
    Fine website :) good luck!

• Kobzarius says:

In Russian: “картофель фри” (“kartòfel fri”).

• christophe says:

in taiwan it is called, phonetically, ” su tiar ”
    ” su ” from “fan su”, potato
    ” tiar ” from “strip”

• Colm says:

Here in Ireland we call them “Chips”, and there are take away restaurants usually run by Italians called “Chippers” or Chip Shops. Usually eaten alongside fish dipped in batter. They are normally quite chunky and the traditional method was to sell them wrapped in a newspaper. Wrapping them in newspaper I’ve heard can be traced back to Roman times, in a comment by Cicero, who describes somebodys “paper” as so useless he would not even wrap his fish in it. So even the ancient Romans were at it!

• Pasiooks says:

In CHINOOK, the Native American lingua franca of the Pacific Northwest Coast and Columbia plateau, they’re called “fly wapato” (fry potato) or “waum gleese wapato” (hot grease potato).

• taina repo says:

In Finland we call them “ranskalaiset perunat”, french potatos.

• fabian says:

We Cubans call them papas fritas.

• Steve says:

In Sweden they are called “Pommes frites”, we don’t have any swedish name for it. Sometimes only the word “Pommes” is used. But most often we use Pommes Strips, a thinner potato, and that is shortened “Strips”.

-En korv med pommes, tack!

-A Hot dog with Pommes Frites, please!

• Kelli says:

I own a chip wagon in Canada and they are known as fries, chips and french fries.

• Kelli says:

I own a chip wagon in Canada, they are known as fries,chips,french fries.

• Henning says:

In Denmark the most common name is “Fritter” – obviously derived from the Pommes Frites.

• Lindsay says:

In India.. we usually call them “finger chips”

:D

• oriste says:

I’m a Belgian expat in Crete, Greece. Here we call them πατάτες τηγανιτές (patátes tiganités), i.e. fried potatoes. They are nothing like Belgian fries because they don’t know how to fry them properly, but they are still reasonably popular. As a snack they are served in a sliced pita bread, with either kebab or shoarma meat, and with Greek (sour) yoghurt on top (instead of mayonnaise). In a paper cone!

• Shakachan says:

In Japan we call them フライド・ポテトphonetically FURAIDO POTETO
    ,literally meaning Fried Potatoes.

• Kevin says:

In China, it is called 炸薯条. Chinese phonetic symbol is [Zha Shu Tiao]. The pronunciation is like [dra:][ʃu:][tjau].

• Mumtaz Yigit says:

Hi;
    Potato Fries is called ‘cips’ in my country, Turkey. Also, ‘Patates kızartması’ name is used by public as traditionaly.

• Neil says:

In Germany they’re usually simply called “Pommes”, which is short for “Pommes Frites” (from the French “Pommes de terres frites”).

• obalasz says:

in hungary it is called “sült krumpli”

• Johann says:

Hi, In Malta we cal them Patata chips or patata moqlija

• andima says:

Hey nice site!:)
    I’m Italian (living in Brussels), in Italian we say “patatine fritte”.

Bye

• Igor W says:

In Poland we call fires frytki. Hmmm

• Ilya Kogan says:

In Israel we know them as Chips – צ’יפס (or צִ’יפְס if you write the vowels). This is the word used in Hebrew, although the “dictionary word” is tuganim (with the last syllable stressed) – טוגנים (or טֻגָּנִים with vowels). In Israel the fries are often too thin and oily, so I was really delighted when I visited the Netherlands last week and tried some real Belgian fries. So I decided to look for a recipe and found this great website :)

• Dieg says:

I’m from Bolivia but dated a Belgise meisje from Kortrijk for 2 years went to visit and as a life long FAN of fries became automatically in love with the FRIETJES met mayo, curry ketchup, samoerai, mamoet and all those amazing sauces ( RECIPES??? PLEASE).
    In Bolivia we speak spanish and we call them PAPAS FRITAS (pah-pahs, free-tahs) BUT since I brought my own friteur (FRITEL) I make my own and I call them FRIETJES, friends and family know that if I call them like that, I’m making them with the BELGIAN recipe, and I correct people speaking in english when they say french fries, they are belgian!!!
    By the way I love bolekes, bitte bollen, mexican (don’t know if I’m spelling correctly sorry) and lots of other things that I tried in the frietkots. One day hopefully I will open my own here in Cochabamba, Bolivia!!!

• Nick says:

I’m Australian, but I have worked in Belgium, and love a good authentic friet.

Here in Oz they are traditionally called “hot chips”. This avoids confusion with packeted potato crisps, which are normally known as “chips” here. Of course in Maccas they are called “fries”. Sadly some people eat that rubbish, even grown adults who do so willingly, and that insidious Americanism is creeping in more and more.

• adriana says:

HI THERE IN MY COUNTRY,BRASIL IT IS CALLED BATATA FRITA OR BATATINHA FRITA ,WICH MEANS LITTLE FRIED POTATOS

• Marvin says:

Spanish (Español all kinds): Papas Fritas, Patatas Fritas, Papas a la Francesa (Belgas).

• Missy says:

we know in french frites, arabic ptata, nederland fritches in czech frechtes, russian fritchas, ukranian fouzitches, turkish frith, portuguese fritchya spanish fritta by

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: