A new exciting franchise: Friitz Belgian Fries!
Tue, 9/11/10 – 18:00 | 80 Comments

A new Belgian Fries franchise was recently launched. It is named Friitz (with double i, pronounce as
[/' f r i: t s /]), inspired by Fritz, the first man known to have opened a fry …

Read the full story »
Belgian Fries around the World

Belgian Fries and fry shops around the world: an overview of what is happening with Belgian Fries on our planet.

f-Commerce

Thinking of starting your own Belgian Fry business. Check here for more details.

Frietkot (fry shop)

Every day more disappear from the Belgian landscape: the “frietkot” or “fritkot”. Information and lots of pictures of the typical fry shacks.

I need your help

My aim is to make this website the most complete resource on (Belgian) Fries … but I need your help for more information and pictures! So if you have any news, please let me know.

My Belgian Fries Travels

About me travelling the world as the Missionary of the Belgian Fry.

Home » Belgian Fries around the World, France, I need your help

Friterie – Paris (FR)

Submitted by mich on Thursday, 11 December 20087 Comments - 37,716 views

(c) David Giral

I found a very nice picture of the famous friterie (fry shop) in Paris. The shop is located at 77 rue Galande, 75005 Paris. I saw it some years ago (it was closed at that moment so I did not have a look inside – will have to go back some day).

I am looking for more information (reviews/pictures) on this lovely fry shop, so if you can help, please email me.

(Link to the original picture)

Another picture but I don’t remember where I got it from.

7 Comments »

• Peter Fisk says:

I have some interesting notes and documents regarding the neighborhood, and an older OIL PAINTING(!) of the Friterie in Paris as shown above at 77 rue Galande, 75005 Paris. But the painting, which appears to have been painted in the 1930s-1950s, shows it as a “Chisserie.”
    Google Maps Street View of that address as of today shows a “Wok Factory” in that storefront.
    But it has been other things. I recommend looking at the google maps street view (first look up the address above on google, click on “Maps” and then pull the little yellow fellow by the zoom bar over to the intersection of Rue Galande in front of #77, drag the scene around till you are facing the storefront). You will also probably see some little square photos, some of which when clicked on may show other scenes of the storefront at different times in its history! I will try to add a photo of the painting (by the signature apparently a “Mabet Foss”) which I recently purchased.
    By absolute coincidence, if there is such a thing, I recently also SOLD a different painting by French painter Hector Trotin of the Hotel Saint Severin, next door to the right of the Wok Factory. It was painted when Paris phone numbers only had 4 digits! There was no Friterie, only a bare wall on the side of the hotel where the Chisserie/Friterie/Wok Factory was later to be added in. And the building DOES look “added in.”
    At this point I don’t see a way to add photos of the 2 paintings, but will keep trying.
    Thanks,
    Peter Fisk

• Alan Sekers says:

the parisian artist Suzanne Balkanyi made an etching of the street with La Friterie in the centre. contact Alan Sekers for more details

• irene says:

I’m afraid ‘La Frite Bruxelloise’ doesn’t exist anyore either… I went to the place several months ago and the shutter was closed and covered with placards. :(

I’m not sure any “friterie” still exists in Paris, unfortunately.

• Gallus says:

Dear BF fans

The part of Paris close to Pont Neuf, rue Galande included, is the historical part of Paris where BF where prepared for centuries. They were called frites Pont Neuf (the nearest bridge over the Seine river).

These traditional fries are slightly larger cut that BF (not much), closer to potato wedges than BF. They could also be fried in animal fat instead of vegetable oil. Which means that outside was crispy and inside much more tender. Served in a sulfurised paper.

I remember of a genuine French friterie near Pont Neuf which was able to cook fries the ancient way, for less than one euro. It was rue Bonaparte (same area). By 2000 it was still fully operational with an old couple preparing and serving the Pommes Pont Neuf. As the area is full of art galleries, posh clothing accessories, antique book shops and antiques shop (stolen from Africa elsewhere), the local business association lobbied to have this friterie closed. And they eventually won the battle on the ground that the smell of fried oil was deterring tourist from approaching their shops in the street.

A few month later the same clique lost the battle against fast food joints such as MC Bowel and Mister Chips. What a sad revenge.

• Henry says:

La Friterie is immortalized in a photo by the famous Eugene Atget, although it was not a fry shop at the time he took his famous picture. It is shown as it is today next to his photo from the ’20s, hardly changed, in the latest book of his works.
    I never missed a opportunity to eat there whenever I was in Paris. They served the best omelette in the universe, OMELETTE PAYSANE which was crammed with fries and jambon and tomatoes.
    If indeed it is gone then I am saddened, but on my next visit to Paris I will go there to see for myself.

• Annie says:

I’m afraid that Timo is right. The good old Friterrie is no longer. The one near metro Parmentier is still there.

• Timo says:

I was cruising along StreetView in Google Maps, and it turns out the friterie no longer exists? Haven’t comfirmed this personally (yet).

Now there’s a new resto at 77 rue galande: Wok Factory (http://www.wokfactory.fr/)

So I guess that just leaves La Frite Bruxelloise in Paris?

Kr,

Timo

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: